Stellantis India, the parent company of the Jeep brand, has launched the all-new Grand Cherokee in India, with prices starting at Rs 77.5 lakh (ex-showroom, India). Although the American SUV provides a new level of luxury, safety, technology, and comfort, it still appears overpriced. Anyway, we’ll first go over the 5 must-know facts about the 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee India, and then I’ll tell you whether this car is overpriced.
- The Grand Cherokee is the fourth model to be “Made in India”, as promised by Jeep India. Yes, the 5th generation 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee has been launched in India as a Completely Knocked Down (CKD) vehicle, with kits imported from its US facility and assembled at its Ranjangaon facility in Pune.
- India is the first market outside of North America to receive the Grand Cherokee, as well as the first right-hand drive market to receive the 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Belvidere Assembly Plant (BVAP) is a Stellantis North America-owned and operated automobile manufacturing facility that currently assembles the Jeep Cherokee.
- While the fourth generation Grand Cherokee was available with both gasoline and diesel engines, the new 5th Gen Grand Cherokee only gets a 2.0-litre, four-cylinder turbo-petrol engine option mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission and producing 270hp and 400Nm of torque. It also has Jeep’s Quadratrac 4×4 system, which has four terrain modes: Auto, Sport, Mud / Sand, and Snow.
- The 2022 Grand Cherokee is positioned above the Meridian in Jeep India’s lineup, competing against the Jaguar F-Pace, BMW X5, Audi Q7, Mercedes-Benz GL, Rage Rover Velar, Volvo XC90, and others. The Jeep Grand Cherokee costs only slightly more than the Jaguar F-Pace.
- Although it is also available in a three-row version known as the Grand Cherokee L in the rest of the world, the India 5-seater version of the all-new Grand Cherokee comes with 110+ safety features, including eight airbags and several Level 2 ADAS features. It also has a 10.1-inch touchscreen with a 10-inch head-up display, a 10.25-inch digital instrument display, and a segment-first 10.25-inch front passenger display. Rear seat entertainment screens, a panoramic sunroof, ventilated front seats, and a powered tailgate is also standard. The SUV also has a 215 mm ground clearance and a 533 mm water-wading depth.
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee: Overpriced?
Though the 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee offers a new level of luxury, safety, technology, and comfort, let’s talk about the other side of the story, which is the vehicle’s price. as previously stated, with the introductory price of Rs 77.5 lakh(Ex-showroom), the Jeep Grand Cherokee is more expensive than the Jaguar F-Pace. The Volvo XC90, Range Rover Velar, Mercedes-Benz GLE, Audi Q7, and BMW X5 are also competitors.
Despite the fact that the Jaguar F-pace is available with both petrol and diesel engines, the Grand Cherokee has a more powerful Petrol engine. However, sales of the Grand Cherokee may be limited because some customers prefer diesel engines. Again, when compared to the price of a BMW X5 petrol, which is the Grand Cherokee’s closest rival after the Jaguar F Pace, the X5 is more powerful and luxurious. However, in terms of off-road capability, the Jeep Grand Cherokee outperforms the X5.
So, technically, it may compete with the likes of the Jaguar F Pace or the BMW X5, but it is neither the fastest nor the most luxurious SUV in the segment, and thus feels overpriced at times. However, if you are a die-hard American SUV fan who wants the best off-roading capabilities in the segment as well as good interior and safety features, the Grand Cherokee is the SUV for you. Comment below with your opinion.